A “Retreat in Daily Life” gives you a special opportunity to draw closer to God in your personal prayer at home, by following a set pattern of prayerful meditations on Scripture passages over several days. Our Retreat in Daily Life will be drawing on the wisdom of Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of Ignatian spirituality.
The Retreat in Daily Life has been designed so that you can do it on your own, in your own time: you’ll find all the necessary resources and information on this web page. It can also be helpful to gather a few other people (e.g. members of a prayer group, a parish or ecumenical group …) to do the Retreat together over one calendar week, in which case the group should start together with an initial meeting on Sunday, and then close together with a final meeting the following Sunday. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more advice on doing the Retreat as a group.
You’ll need to set aside about an hour each day for the Retreat in Daily Life. All you’ll need to take part is a quiet corner, a Bible, a notebook … and the desire to deepen your relationship with God and discover the call of Christ for your life.
Before you begin, you will need to watch the two short introductory videos on the Holy Cross YouTube Channel (on “Praying with a Bible Passage” and “Praying the Examen”). Below you’ll find the handouts referred to in the videos, which you can print out – or save on your device – and use as a guide for your prayer during the week.
The programme is then as follows:
- six 20 minute talks (Monday to Saturday), posted on the Holy Cross YouTube Channel, for you to watch in your own time
- six 30 minute prayer exercises (introduced at the end of the daily talk), for you to do in your own time
- a short prayer exercise (the “Examen”), to do at the end of each day
Once you have completed the Retreat:
- Please click here to give us your feedback (via Google Forms)
- If you would like to make a financial contribution to Holy Cross to support our retreat ministries, please click here for our bank details (and mark your donation “Retreat”)
You might also find the following useful:
- A free Visual Timer app such as these ones, available for iPhone / iPad or Android
- The free “Reimagining the Examen” app, available for iPhone / iPad or Android
If you have any questions then feel free to contact email@example.com. Have a good time of prayer!