Our social justice work is inspired by Jesus’s call to “bring Good News to the poor” (Luke 4:14-21), and the mission goals of the Anglican Communion, in particular:
To transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and pursue peace and reconciliationAnglican marks of mission
Holy Cross actively seeks to be involved locally and globally in issues of importance. Our Tuckerbox ministry is one of our signature ministries, providing food and groceries for people with budgetary constraints.
Our Social Justice and Environment group helps raise awareness and encourage peaceful action toward a more just society. Actions of the group include speaking tours, petitions, letter writing campaigns and fundraising for pressing social issues.
Our members participate in events such as the annual Palm Sunday rally for refugees, organised by Canberra’s Refugee Action Committee in seeking fair and humane treatment of people who come to Australia seeking refuge.
St John’s Care
Holy Cross actively supports the work of St John’s Care in Reid in assisting the poor and homeless of Canberra. Members of the congregation donate groceries at each Sunday morning service. The parish also makes regular financial donations to St John’s Care and some members volunteer their time.
Holy Cross encourages its members to support all aspects of the work of Anglicare for caring for those in need in the local region.
ACT for Peace
Internationally, Holy Cross supports ACT for Peace and the Christmas Bowl programs of the National Council of Churches in Australia. These programs include overseas disaster relief, development projects and advocacy for peace, justice and ecological well being.
- Pentecost Sunday Taize and ABM fundraiser for Myanmar
- National Reconciliation Week services: ACT joint churches and at Holy Cross
- God’s Mercy in the Economy
- Lenten series on God’s Mercy
- Sustainability in the ACT: Community conversation with Shane Rattenbury
- Sustaining Our Future Festival – online!
- COP26 : Australia and avoiding dangerous climate change
- Knitted blankets warming peoples facing homelessness
- How good is your chocolate? Your Chocolate Ethical Shopping Guide
- Easter and Social Justice